What Is CBD?CBD is a phytocannabinoid (plant compound) that can be found in hemp and cannabis. Both of these plants contain more than 100 cannabinoids but CBD and THC are the two prominent ones. CBD is a compound with many health benefits, but the amazing thing about it is that it also has an excellent safety record. In other words, while THC is the high-causing substance that can be found in marijuana (cannabis), CBD works to provide benefits without altering your mind or hurting your body in other ways. The main reason why CBD is so popular is that it can soothe anxiety, reduce psychosis, and improve mood. Thus, CBD oil is good for mental health, and its therapeutic effects see it reduce psychological and behavioral measures of anxiety and stress. If you too are feeling stressed out, nervous, anxious or depressed after coming from work, then take a look at the benefits of CBD oil to learn more about its properties. This cannabinoid has no side effects and does not require a prescription, unlike THC in some states.
What Is CBD Oil?CBD hemp oil is, as its name suggests, derived from the hemp plant, which is naturally high in CBD and low in THC. In recent times, CBD oil has become accepted as a safe and legal remedy for a series of health conditions. CBD oil has a great nutritional value, offering essential fatty acids that the body doesn’t produce naturally, which means you must get them from foods. Furthermore, science shows that consuming cannabidiol oil is a great way to interact with the Endocannabinoid System and maintain optimal health and general well-being. CBD oil has many potential uses and benefits, but people generally use it to reduce pain, soothe and prevent inflammation, improve mood, eliminate depression, provide better sleep quality, improve skin health, and balance the metabolism.
CBD Oil Vs. THCJust to make things very clear for first-time readers, we’ll go through the differences between CBD and THC once again. Until recently, THC (tetrahydrocannabinol) was the most well-known compound in cannabis or hemp. Marijuana contains both THC and CBD but these compounds have different effects and serve different purposes. THC is famous for the “high” it causes when people use marijuana for recreational purposes. Although THC does have some medical benefits, the fact that it intoxicates the mind makes people avoid it altogether. On the other hand, CBD is non-psychoactive, so it won’t alter the mind or senses of whoever uses it. However, CBD does have some properties that trigger changes in your body — but they’re all positive.
How Does CBD Oil Work?CBD oil works thanks to a lesser known internal system, but an extremely influential one nonetheless: the Endocannabinoid System (ECS). While this may be the first time you’re hearing about it, the ECS is one of the most important systems for ensuring and maintaining your overall health. The ECS is made up of receptors that can be found almost everywhere in the body, but especially in the immune system (CB2) and the central and peripheral nervous systems (CB1). When you ingest cannabinoids, they interact with CB1 receptors in the brain and improves processes associated with pain, mood, emotions, memories, thinking, and appetite. CB2 receptors influence inflammation and pain. While THC attaches to CB1 receptors, CBD does not do the same on cannabinoid receptors but rather helps the body to use more endocannabinoids. Thanks to this unique property, CBD can influence processes such as pain perception, anxiety, sleep, motor control, appetite, hormone regulation, and immune response. Besides all of these individual health benefits, the ultimate mission of cannabidiol is to ensure homeostasis. This means cannabidiol strives to maintain a stable internal environment, despite whatever fluctuations may come from the outside environment. Thus, it’s safe to say that CBD oil effects your ECS to keep you healthy and make sure all of your systems are functioning well.
CBD Oil BenefitsCannabidiol is not just for anxiety and pain because there are many CBD oil uses. Let’s take a look at the benefits of CBD oil:
- Anxiety — generally, those with chronic anxiety avoid cannabis, as it increases anxiety and can cause paranoia in some. However, CBD is an anxiolytic compound that not only reduces anxiety but also helps with other anxiety disorders. Thus, CBD oil can help with PTSD, social anxiety disorder, panic disorder, general anxiety disorder, and OCD.
- Pain — CBD oil is a wonderful, safe, and 100% natural way to avoid prescription drugs to soothe pain and stiffness. Presently, researchers are studying CBD as a new treatment for chronic pain.
- Inflammation — Studies show CBD oil considerably reduces chronic inflammation and pain.
- Cardiovascular health — CBD oil is beneficial for your heart health because it promotes vasorelaxation of arteries, protects against vascular damage, soothes inflammation, and reduces blood pressure.
- Epilepsy — in one study, CBD has been shown to reduce the number of seizures from 200 per month to 1-2 mild ones per week.
- Immune system — since CB2 receptors are mainly located in the immune system, it’s no wonder that cannabidiol works to regulate overactive immune systems. This effect protects against autoimmune diseases and allergies.
- Weight loss — cannabidiol can improve the body’s fat-burning properties and enhances the breakdown of fat cells. This cannabinoid also inhibits fat cell-generating proteins and converts white adipose tissue into the brown type, which burns fat. Furthermore, CBD oil benefits weight loss by suppressing appetite and showing anti-obesity effects.
- Smoking — CBD may help smokers quit this bad habit. One study shows those who have used an inhaler with CBD ended up smoking fewer cigarettes and stopped craving nicotine. Research also shows CBD might help people who abuse opioids as it helps reduce or avoid withdrawal symptoms.
- Epilepsy — CBD has anti-seizure benefits and pose a low risk for side effects. Studies show CBD may help in the treatment of many epilepsy-related disorders such as psychiatric diseases, neurodegeneration, and neuronal injury. At the same time, CBD oil may be safer and more effective in treating schizophrenia than some antipsychotic drugs.
- Neurological health — CBD might help those suffering from Alzheimer’s to prevent them from losing the ability to recognize the faces of loved ones.
- Cancer — a review from the British Journal of Clinical Pharmacology shows that CBD can block cancer cells from spreading in the body. Furthermore, the review shows CBD oil can stop the growth of cancer cells and even helps in promoting their death (cancer cell death, that is).
- Sleep — CBD can help with interrupted sleep, insomnia, and sleeplessness. It also works for restless leg disorder, PTSD, and other issues that happen at nighttime, helping to calm down users and get them ready to get some good night’s rest.
- Diabetes — inflammation causes type 1 diabetes and it happens when the immune system fights cells in the pancreas. Research shows CBD can reduce inflammation in the pancreas, which makes a possible treatment solution for type 1 diabetes. At the same time, CBD lowers blood sugar levels.
- Acne — acne is also partially caused by inflammation. One study shows that CBD can reduce sebum production of acne and thus represents a possible treatment solution for acne vulgaris.
Is CBD Oil Legal?While we have already said that CBD is available without a prescription, people are still wondering: is CBD oil legal? Yes, CBD hemp oil is fully legal across the United States, regardless of what marijuana laws are in effect in your particular state. CBD oil products made from industrial hemp are completely legal when they contain less than 0.3 percent THC in dry weight. Remember, THC is the mind-altering cannabinoidc in hemp. Agricultural hemp has low THC quantities as it is but it is further processed until virtually all THC is eliminated. Since most CBD hemp oil products contain no THC, this means they won’t show up on drug tests results. So, if you’re still worried about the possible legal ramifications of buying CBD oil, stop. You don’t even need a prescription to buy CBD oil online!
CBD Oil from Hemp or Cannabis?In many CBD oil reviews, we can find people discussing whether to take CBD from hemp or cannabis. The truth is that it doesn’t matter where your CBD oil comes from. Our bodies cannot exactly tell whether the CBD oil comes from industrial hemp or medical cannabis because it will retain its biological properties. What’s more, it will interact in the same ways with your CBD receptors and other various enzymes. Having said that, there are some risks associated with CBD oil extracted from cannabis. This is why CBD hemp oil is a better choice for most people who want to avoid any possible psychoactive side effects. Therefore, hemp-derived CBD oil is eco-friendly, nutrient-rich, non-psychotropic, and good for the environment. Over the last years, marijuana farmers have bred their plants to have a high THC content. Hemp farmers did not alter their plants, trying to maintain a low-THC and high-CBD profile for their CBD oil products.
CBD Oil Vs. Hemp Oil?Hemp oil is extracted from the seeds of industrial hemp. This means that there are fewer cannabinoids in hemp oil and lower amounts of CBD than in CBD oil. The CBD content of hemp oil is usually close to 0 percent but in CBD oil is as high as 15%, or even more. Hemp oil is usually advertised as cooking oil but also as a good moisturizer. This is why hemp oil is used to make certain foods, shampoos, soaps, and other products. Hemp has been around for about 10,000 years, and during this time it had many uses, including as an ingredient for biofuel and a sustainable type of plastic. Since regular hemp oil is naturally low in CBD, be careful when manufacturers advertise it as something else. Hemp oil is NOT a product that reduces anxiety, soothes inflammation, calms down pains, and has anti-cancer properties. While CBD can have a profound positive impact on your health, the same cannot be said about hemp oil.
How to Choose the Best CBD Oil?This CBD oil review wouldn’t be complete without telling you how to choose between all of the products available today. The best CBD oil brands don’t use harsh chemical solvents to extract their oils. Top manufacturers generally employ chemical-free CO2 extraction process to ensure quality and stability. This “cold” process to extract hemp oil is done at temperatures resembling that of the botanical material, which naturally reduces the degradation of the plant while improving the quality of the extracted oil. CO2 extraction is non-toxic and environmentally friendly. To ensure you’re getting the best CBD oil, make sure it is tested not only for its cannabinoid content, but also hor solvents, harmful substances, GMOs, heavy metals, pesticides, or other contaminants. Almost all CBD oil brands test their products to ensure maximum purity, potency, and quality, but also to verify if the THC concentration is lower than 0.3 percent. Obviously, if you’re looking for the best CBD oil supplement, make sure it has no THC. Furthermore, some CBD companies ask for help from third-party labs to analyze their CBD and check for pesticides, fungicides, unnatural ingredients, residual solvents, heavy metals or other harmful substances. CBD oil is great to take but sometimes it can be difficult because you have to use a dropper. This can cause spillage and errors in measurements, which is why some people decide to take CBD gummies or CBD capsules. These types of CBD products contain a pre-measured CBD dose so you don’t have to do any guesswork. Make sure the product you’re looking at is made in the USA because this is a true testament to quality. Lawfully grown industrial hemp is all-natural, safe, and does not require a prescription. Also, the best CBD oil manufacturers should be able to offer a money back guarantee, so if you see one available, it’s a good sign.
CBD Oil Side EffectsWhile CBD has an excellent safety profile, using too much of this stuff can result in a series of side effects. While they are infrequent, CBD side effects include lightheadedness, dry mouth, and low blood pressure. As you probably know, low blood pressure isn’t exactly a side effect, but if you’re suffering from hypotension it would be wise to avoid CBD oil. As with any supplement, if you are pregnant or breastfeeding, if you’re under the age of 18, or if you suffer from an existing condition, talk with your doctor before using CBD oil.
CBD Oil DosageLet’s get one thing straight right from the get-go. Due to the fact that CBD products aren’t currently FDA-regulated, there’s no consensus on an ideal CBD oil dosage to suit every need. Actually, when talking about how much CBD oil to take, most of the correct expression is “CBD oil serving size”, not “dosage”. The correct CBD oil serving size can vary depending on your state of health, body weight, product concentration, what you’re trying to treat and so on. Which is why, most of the times, the right CBD oil dosage will be written on the product’s label. Usually, CBD hemp oil supplements recommend a serving size of around 10 drops.
How Much CBD Oil Should I Take?Although CBD oil can vary in potency depending on the manufacturer, experts recommend you start out with a small CBD oil dosage, then gradually increase it after 3-4 days, or even a week. If you’re wondering how much CBD oil should I take, here’s a guide that might help you out, depending on your condition:
- Anxiety, depression, and stress — take a CBD oil dosage of 3-10mg, or three drops, three times per day.
- Chronic pain — take 2.5 to 20mg of CBD oil by mouth for a period of 30 days.
- Harmonize body functions — use a CBD dose of 3 drops in the morning, which comes down to 1-3mg.
- Digestive problems — take 3 CBD oil drops in the morning and 3 more in the evening. That’s a CBD oil dosage of 2-6mg.
- Insomnia — use 3 CBD drops in the evening, and 3 more in the evening, which means a total of 2 to 6mg.
- Epilepsy — in this case, use a CBD hemp oil dosage of 200-300 mg per day for up to 5 months.
- Glaucoma — in this case, a CBD oil dosage of 20-40 mg should suffice.
- Schizophrenia — take CBD oil orally in a dose of 40-1,280mg for up to 30 days.
- Cancer patients — to improve appetite in cancer patients, a CBD oil dosage of 1mg and add 2.5mg of THC. Take this combination for 6-8 weeks.
- Multiple sclerosis — use a combination of 2.5-120 mg of CBD and THC for up to 15 weeks.
How to Use CBD Oil?If you’re wondering how to take CBD oil, don’t worry too much. You can ingest cannabidiol oil, which means the cannabidiol will enter your digestive system. Then, your liver metabolizes CBD and allows it to enter your bloodstream. However, it seems that the best way to take CBD oil is under the tongue. Using this method ensures CBD hemp oil is absorbed directly into the bloodstream through your capillaries. In other words, it won’t pass through your digestive system anymore. Simply place a few CBD oil drops under your tongue using the dropper, then allow the mucous membrane to absorb the cannabidiol. It usually takes 60-90 seconds for this happen. Unless otherwise specified, CBD hemp oil should not be refrigerated but kept in a cool, dry place that’s hidden from sunlight.
CBD Oil ProductsAfter it’s extracted from hemp, CBD can be used in various ways to help with multiple conditions and diseases. Some CBD hemp oil products can be taken straight up with a dropper or pipette. Then there are CBD oil products that can be added to foods or drinks, CBD creams, or plain old CBD capsules.
- CBD oil — this is one of the most popular forms of CBD. You can either swallow it or take it under the tongue.
- CBD oil capsules — CBD soft-gel capsules contain a perfect pre-measured quantity of CBD and they’re convenient and easy to take.
- CBD tinctures — make sure to shake the bottle before using it, place some CBD tincture under the tongue, and hold for about a minute or so, then swallow it.
- CBD gummies — these are CBD-infused gummy bears that are fun and easy to take. CBD gummies are made with CBD oil and one gummy per day should be enough to get anxiety and pain relief.
- CBD e-liquid — you can vape CBD if you don’t like taking it orally. Vaping means you won’t harm your lungs and all you need is a vape pen and some CBD e-liquid to get started.
- CBD edibles — mix CBD oil with your foods and drinks to enjoy its amazing health benefits. Make sure that those foods are high in fatty acids to ensure a fast circulation of the cannabinoids.
- CBD creams — you can apply them directly onto your skin and they rapidly start working on nearby areas. They reduce inflammation, soreness, swelling, and, most importantly, pain.